Thank you for your interest in supporting Smile Train through a stock donation. Appreciated securities are perhaps the most cost-effective assets to use in making a gift. When you transfer ownership of long-term holdings to Smile Train, Inc., you receive a charitable deduction for their full market value — and you incur no capital gains tax (subject to IRS deduction limits).
Because electronic transfers are made without identifying the donor, please alert us in advance about the stock and number of shares you plan to give. You can do so by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling Nick McGann at 646.751.3243.
According to IRS regulations, the date of your gift corresponds to the date it arrives in our possession (for transfers from brokerage account to brokerage account). Following is the information necessary to transfer stock to our account:
|Brokerage Firm:||Merrill Lynch|
|Our Account Name:||Smile Train, Inc.|
|Our Tax ID Number:||13-3661416|
|Our Account Number:||850-03495|
|Broker DTC Number:||8862|
The IRA Charitable Rollover: A Tax Smart Way to Help Smile Train
If you are age 70 ½ or older, you can support Smile Train by making a gift from your IRA. You can contribute up to $100,000 each year without having to pay income tax on the IRA distribution.
How It Works
- If you are 70½ or older, you can give up to $100,000 directly from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) each year to charities such as Smile Train.
- The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you still benefit even if you do not itemize your tax deductions.
- If you have not yet taken your required minimum distribution (RMD) from your IRA for the year, your IRA charitable rollover gift can satisfy all or part of that requirement.
- The transfer may be made in addition to any other charitable giving you have planned.
- To make the gift, you need to formally request the distribution be made by writing to your IRA Administrator. A sample letter is provided below.